As a homeowner, you need to know the difference between a plumbing issue and a potential plumbing emergency. An emergency call to a plumber can be expensive, but you also need to be sure that your home is not subjected to water damage that can become a much bigger problem in the long run. Doing so can lead to potential health and safety hazards, so you need to know how to detect whether or not you need to call someone right away for emergency plumbing in Gold Bar.
Being Proactive Is Best
You can minimize the potential damage to your property as well as any health risks if:
- You can get to the main shut-off valves for the water to easily stop water flow to the area that is causing a problem.
- You can safely shut off your water heater.
- Ensure that every adult in the home knows where the shut off valves are located and that they are labeled properly
- With a damp or wet floor or wall, if you can pinpoint the source and turn off the water supply so you can dry the area, it is not an emergency.
- With a burst pipe, if you can shut off the water to the fixture or pipe, but the rest of the home still can get water, this is not an emergency.
- With a damp or wet floor or wall and a quick and escalating issue with a great deal of accumulating water that you cannot stop, this is an emergency.
- With a burst pipe where you cannot stop the water supply to the fixture or pipe, or you have to shut off the main water that leaves your home without a water supply, this is an emergency.